Monday, May 25, 2009

The Best of Times

On the way up to the lake this weekend, I was given the rare opportunity to have a talk (without interruptions) with my mom and dad. It was beautiful. We talked of life, and love, and money, and beauty, and it really opened up my eyes to the true character of my parents.

We all think we know our parents. We have some wonderfully conceived idea of who our parents were both before we were born and up till now. We think we know every move they will make, what they would say in certain situations, or what they will wear to the party at work (which might be a bit embarassing). I have always respected and appreciated my parents - they have given me everything without needing anything in return, including unconditional love and support - and I will forever be greatful to them. But this weekend, I experienced a moment when I learned exactly where there heart is at in this life, and I am so thankful for that.

We got on the subject of me being an R.A. and how my they both thought I had made the right decision. My dad gracefully reminded me that sometimes we have to give things we want up in order to survive. They told me of the period when they got married; two young kids, poor and in love, eating mac & cheese nightly in order to pay the bills. Of the two children they had, though they probably couldn't afford it, but of the house they filled with love and of the walls that were decorated with finger painted pictures and crayon drawings. It seemed like the same story I had heard, not bad, just the same...until my dad said something I'll never forget. He said, "We may have had nothing, but those were some of the best times of our lives."

...........

MY PARENTS ARE MY HEROES.

...........

They inspire me. They love me. They support me. They find a way to make any situation into a good one. And I hope that someday I can be half as good of parents as they were [if that's even possible.] I learned that their hearts are in such a wonderful place. We don't need THINGS to make us happy in our house, and I'm so happy I've grown up under that notion.

We've grown up in a world crammed full of things. We "have to have" this and we "just can't live without " that. It's sickening, and I think we ALL fall into it. I've been going through my room lately and have discovered a whole slew of items that probably weren't ever on the list of needed purchases. We accumulate so much stuff...but why? Why did I need that third belt when I already had two that were just fine? And why did I have to get one more pair of shoes or a purse when I have zillions laying around my bedroom?

I'm so thankful that my parents have taught me that mere things mean nothing in the end. I don't ever want to take anything I have for granted and I always want to appreciate it all, because it is a beautiful and wonderful gift from God. I never want to find myself so consumed in what I have [or don't have] that I forget to love people.

Because that's what it's all about...
...and sometimes I do forget.

Love,
Steph

"Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude." -D. Waitley

"This time, like all times, is the best of times, if we but know what to do with it." - R.W. Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment